RealFood Consulting (RFC) was retained by Ogawa Coffee of Japan to complete a multi-phase project supporting their planned expansion to the Northeast U.S. RFC’s initial scope of work was to evaluate and compare market opportunities between Boston and New York City. A detailed market and sub-market study was completed to identify multiple proposed locations and complete detailed opportunity assessments. These studies included creation of a coffee consumption index based on detailed consumer habits by demographic segment, overlaid on market demographics to craft a correlation between development and occupancy expense and potential sales forecast.
The data from this study led Ogawa to come to Boston as a first choice. RFC worked closely with the Ogawa team in a variety of roles.
- Redefining Japanese concept to suit US market
- Foodservice design and specification
- Procurement of all foodservice equipment
- Menu development and specifications including recipes and operating guidelines
- Vendor selection, product specifications and procurement
- Construction coordination
Working closely with Ogawa Coffee, RFC was able to assist in adapting the 60-year history of artisan coffee and foodservice they brought to the U.S. market. The result of the collaboration was a unique property that opened to great acclaim and impeccable results, forming the basis for ongoing development and expansion.